Community Development Block Grants provide funding for housing, economic development and a variety of neighborhood improvement/public service projects for low- and moderate-income residents in the seven Community Development areas.
District 1 residents voted to establish funding priorities under the two allowable categories: Services and Capital Improvements as follows:
- Programs that provide meals, sanitation kits and health related services to homeless individuals and encampments.
- Programs that provide access to showers and hygiene resources for homeless individuals and encampments, in particular through mobile services.
- Programs providing housing related services to tenants.
- Improvements to enhance street safety, including: sidewalks; crosswalk markings at intersections; additional lighting; designated bicycle lanes; and speed restrictions on truck traffic; with priority for, but not limited to, the Santa Fe Neighborhood and Lowell Street between Stanford Avenue and 53rd Street.
- Improvements to heavily trafficked streets to ensure the safety of school students using those avenues of travel, including: school zone crosswalks; restriping to remove center turn lanes; widening of traffic and cycling lanes; traffic circles; and accessible public open space; with priority for, but not limited to, the Longfellow Neighborhood and streets such as West, Market and West MacArthur.
We are excited that requests for proposals will be submitted in the Santa Fe to make street safety improvements in our neighborhood.